Over 110 students have graduated from the Department of Biomedical Informatics (25+ PhD, 50+ MS, 25+ Certificate). The diversity of careers available to DBMI alumnus is evident in their biographies. Many of our graduates are teaching and performing research in academic institutions, such as Vanderbilt University, Arizona State University, and New York University while others have entered private industry with companies such as Cerner Corporation and Boston Scientific; some have positions in government agencies, such as the NIH and AHRQ, while others are at major medical centers, serving in roles such as Chief Medical Information Officer. We maintain a database of the career paths of our graduates. If you are an alumnus, please contact us if you would like to submit or update information!
My journey through the DBMI training program began as a certificate student seeking the opportunity to understand how the electronic health record could be leveraged to support clinical and translational research efforts. I was fascinated by the diverse use cases addressed and innovative informatics solutions developed by the faculty, trainees, and staff. As a pre-doctoral fellow, I discovered my passion for machine learning, artificial intelligence, and natural language processing and received first-class training and strong mentorship from the distinguished faculty. My time spent among my colleagues, faculty, and friends at Pitt DBMI were undoubtedly some of the most influential and memorable times of my life.
- Buz Cooper Scholar Awardee – emerging Cancer Informatics Center of Excellence
Abramson Cancer Center/Breakthrough Bike Challenge, 2019
- Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research – Educational Fellowship Recipient
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2019
- AMIA Clinical Research Informatics Award for Best Paper– Informatics Summits
American Medical Informatics Association, San Francisco, CA, 2019
- United States-United Kingdom Fulbright – Alternate
King’s College London Scholar Award (open rank), London, UK, 2017
- 2nd place Poster Award
International Society for Disease Surveillance, Denver, CO, 2015
- Postdoc Travel Assistance Award
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, UT, 2015
- Department Values Award for Leadership
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, UT, 2015
- 3rd place Student Paper Award – Annual Retreat
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 2014
- 3rd place AMIA Student Paper Competition Award
American Medical Informatics Association, Washington, DC, 2013
- 1st place Student Paper Award – Annual Retreat
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 2012
- 1st place Student Poster Award – Annual Retreat
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 2010
- NLM/NIDCR Fellowship
National Library of Medicine/National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 2009-2013
- Birtwell D, Williams H, Pyeritz R, Damrauer S, Mowery DL. Carnival: A Graph-based Data Integration and Query Tool to Support Patient Cohort Generation for Clinical Research. Studies in Health Technologies and Informatics. 2019 Aug 21;264:35-39
- Chapman BE, Heilbrun ME, Narasimhan E, Patel N, Chapman WW, Mowery DL. Feasibility of Automating Suggestions for Communicating Critical Findings in Chest Radiograph Reports. Journal of American College of Radiology. 2019 Jun 20. pii: S1546-1440(19)30638-6.
- Moore J, Boland MR, Camaro P, Gonzales G, Himes B, Mowery D, Ritchie M, Shen L, Urbanowicz R, Holmes J. Preparing Next Generation Scientists for Biomedical Big Data: Artificial Intelligence Approaches. Personalized Medicine. 2019 May 1;16(3):247-257
- Conway M, Keyhani S, Christensen L, South B, Vali M, Walter L, Mowery D, Abdelraham S, Chapman WW. Moonstone: A Novel Natural Language Processing System for Inferring Social Risk from Clinical Narratives. Journal of Biomedical Semantics. 2019 Apr 11;10(1):6
- Conway M, Mowery D, South B, Stoddard G, Chapman W, Patterson O, Zhu SH. Documentation of Electronic Nicotine Delivery System Use in the US Department of Veterans Affairs Electronic Health Record (2008-2014). American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2019 Mar. 56(3): 474–475.
- Conway M, Mowery D, Ising A, Velupillai S, Doan S, Gunn J, Donovan M, Wiedeman C, Ballester L, Soetebier K, Tong C, Burkom H. Cross Disciplinary Consultancy to Bridge Public Health Technical Needs and Analytic Developers: Negation Detection Use Case. Online Journal of Public Health Informatics. 2018; 2.
- Mowery DL, Smith H, Cheney T, Stoddard G, Coppersmith G, Bryan C, Conway M. Understanding Depression-Related Symptoms and Stressors in Twitter: A Corpus Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research: Mental Health. 2017 Feb 28;19(2):e48.
- Mowery DL, Hill B, Chapman WW, Cannon-Albright L, Majersik JJ. Development of a Knowledge Base to Support the Automatic Classification of a Computable Ischemic Stroke Phenotype from Electronic Medical Records. Neurology: Genetics. 2017 Mar; 3(1 Suppl 1): S12–S18.
- Mowery DL, South BR, Velupillai S, Murtola LM, Salanterä S, Suominen H, Christensen L, Leng J, Martinez D, Elhadad N, Pradhan S, Savova G, Chapman WW. Normalizing Acronyms and Abbreviations to Aid Patient Understanding of Clinical Texts: ShARe/CLEF eHealth 2013 Challenge Task 2. Journal of Biomedical Semantics. 2016. 2016 Jul 1;7:43.
- Shah RU, Rupp A, Mowery D, Zhang M, Stoddard G, Deshmukh V, Bray BE, Hess R, Rondina MT. Stroke Prevention Rates in Atrial Fibrillation Before and After Introduction of Direct Oral Anticoagulants. Neuroepidemiology. 2016;47(3-4):201-209.
- Mowery DL, Chapman WW, Chapman BE, Conway M, South BR, Madden E, Keyhani S. Extracting a Stroke Phenotype Risk Factor from Veteran Health Administration Clinical Reports: An Information Content Analysis. Journal of Biomedical Semantics. 2016. 7(26):1-12
- Scuba W, Tharp M, Mowery D, Tseytlin E, Liu Y, Drews FA, Chapman WW. Knowledge Author: Facilitating User-Driven, Domain Content Development to Support Clinical Information Extraction. Journal of Biomedical Semantics. 2016. 7(42).
- Conway M, Khojoyon A, Fana F, Scuba W, Tharp M, Mowery D, Chapman WW, Jopp S. Developing A Web-Based SKOS Editor. Journal of Biomedical Semantics. 2016. 7(5).
- Velupillai S, Mowery DL, South BR, Kvist M, Dalianis H. Recent Advances in Clinical Natural Language Processing in Support of Semantic Analysis. International Medical Informatics Association Yearbook. 2015: 10(1). 183-193.
- South BR, Mowery DL, Suo Y, Ferrández O, Meystre SM, Chapman WW. Evaluating the Effects of Machine Pre-Annotation and an Interactive Annotation Interface on Manual De-Identification of Clinical Text. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. Special Issue: Medical Privacy. 2014 Aug;50:162-72.
- Liadh K, Goeuriot L, Suominen H, Mowery DL, Velupillai S, Chapman WW, Zuccon G, Palotti J. Overview of the ShARe/CLEF eHealth Evaluation Lab 2014. Information Access Evaluation. Multilinguality, Multimodality, and Interaction Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8685, 2014: 172-191.
- Velupillai S, Skeppstedt M, Kvist M, Mowery DL, Chapman BE, Dalianis H, Chapman WW. Cue-Based Assertion Classification for Swedish Clinical Text – Developing an Assertion Lexicon for Pycontextswe. AIIM: Text Mining and Information Analysis. 2014. Jul; 61(3):137-44
- Suominen H, Salantarä S, Velupillai S, Chapman WW, Savova G, Elhadad N, Pradhan S, South BR, Mowery DL, Leveling J, Kelly L, Goeuriot L, Martinez D, Zuccon G. Overview of the ShARe/CLEF eHealth evaluation lab 2013. Information Access Evaluation. Multilinguality, Multimodality, and Visualization Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8138, 2013: 212-231.
- Chapman WW, Hilert D, Velupillai S, Kvist M, Skeppstedt M, Chapman BE, Conway M, Tharp M, Mowery DL, Deleger L. Extending the Negex Lexicon for Multiple Languages. Studies in Health Technologies and Informatics. 2013;192:677-81.
- Mowery DL, Wiebe J, Visweswaran SH, Harkema H, Chapman WW. Building an Automated SOAP Classifier for Emergency Department Reports. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2012: 45. 71-81. 1st Place Poster Award – Pitt DBMI Retreat.
- Mowery DL, Clayton M, Lu J, Schleyer T. Software Review: Tooth Atlas 3D, version 6.3.0. Journal of Dental Education. November 2010: 74(11). 1261-1264.
- Mowery DL, Miller M, Stoeckert C, Hicks A. Expanding the Hypertension Ontology to Leverage Information Extracted from Clinical Texts. 1st International Workshop on Biomedical Ontologies and Natural Language Processing (ICBO 2019). Buffalo, NY.
- Hicks A, Miller M, Mowery DL, Stoeckert C. The Hypertension Ontology: Coordinating Clinical Data with Context-Sensitive Hypertension Criteria. International Conference on Biomedical Ontology (ICBO 2019). Buffalo, NY.
- Mowery DL, Kawamoto K, Bradshaw R, Kohlmann W, Schiffman JD, Weir C, Borbolla D, Chapman WW, Del Fiol G. Determining Onset for Familial Breast and Colorectal Cancer from Family History Comments in the Electronic Health Record. Informatics Summits 2019. San Francisco, CA. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2019 May 6;2019:173-181. eCollection 2019 AMIA Clinical Research Informatics Best Paper Award 2019
- Patel J, Krishnan A, Mowery DL, Thyvalikakath T. Accessing Information Congruence of Documented Cardiovascular Disease between Electronic Dental and Medical Records. AMIA Annual Symp. 2018. San Francisco, CA. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2018 Dec 5;2018:1442-1450.
- Mowery DL, Park A, Conway M. Applying the Transtheoretical Model of Behavioral Change to Reddit Data: A Pilot Study of Cessation Strategies and Outcomes among Tobacco Users. HealTAC 2018. Manchester, UK.
- Shi J, Mowery DL, Castine M, Sanders J, Zhang M, Chapman WW, Gawron L. Extracting Intrauterine Device Usage from Clinical Texts using Natural Language Processing. Fifth IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI 2017). Park City, UT.
- Shi J, Mowery DL. EasyCIE: A Development Platform to Support Quick and Easy, Rule-based Clinical Information Extraction. Fifth IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI 2017). Park City, UT.
- Guo J, Mowery DL, Lai D, Sward K, Conway M. A Corpus Analysis of Social Connections and Social Isolation in Adolescents Suffering from Depressive Disorders. CLPsych 2017. Vancouver, BC.
- Chapman A, Mowery DL, Swords DS, Chapman WW, Bucher B. Detecting Evidence of Intra-abdominal Surgical Site Infections from Radiology Reports using Natural Language Processing. AMIA Annu Symposium 2017. Washington, DC. 515-524
- Mowery DL, South BR, Patterson O, Zhu S-H, Conway M. Investigating the Documentation of Electronic Cigarette Use in the Veteran Affairs Electronic Health Record: A Pilot Study. BioNLP 2017. Vancouver, CA.
- Mowery DL, Bryan C, Conway M. Feature Studies to Inform the Classification of Depressive Symptoms from Twitter Data for Population Health. Mining Online Health Reports. 2017. Cambridge, UK.
- Mowery DL, Park A, Bryan C, Conway M. Towards Automatically Classifying Depressive Symptoms from Twitter Data for Population Health. Computational Modeling of People’s Opinions, Personality, And Emotions in Social Media. 2016. Osaka, JP. 182-191.
- Velupillai S, Mowery DL, Conway M, Hurdle J, Kious B. Vocabulary Development for Substance Abuse Information Extraction from Psychiatry Notes. BioNLP 2016. Berlin, DE. 92-101.
- Chapman BE, Mowery DL, Narasimhan E, Patel N, Chapman WW, Heilbrun ME. Assessing the Feasibility of an Automated Suggestion System for Communicating Critical Findings from Chest Radiograph Reports to Referring Physicians. BioNLP 2016. Berlin, DE. 181-185.
- Doing-Harris K, Mowery DL, Chapman WW, Daniels C, Conway M. Understanding Patient Satisfaction with Received Healthcare Services: A Natural Language Processing Approach. AMIA Symp Proc. Chicago, IL. 2016. 524-533.
- Mowery DL, South BR, Garvin J, Franc D, Ashfaq S, Zamora T, Cheng E, Chapman BE, Keyhani S, Chapman WW. Adapting a Natural Language Processing Algorithm to Support Stroke Cohort Generation. HSR&D/QUERI National Day. Philadelphia, PA. July 2015. 1082.
- Mowery DL, Chapman WW, Chapman BE, Conway M, South BR, Madden E, Keyhani S. Evaluating the Usage of Sections, Structures, and Expressions for Reporting and Extracting a Stroke Phenotype Risk Factor. Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology: Phenotype Day 2015. Dublin, IE.
- Velupillai S, Mowery DL, Abdelrahman S, Christensen L, Chapman WW. Toward a Generalizable Time Expression Model for Temporal Reasoning in Clinical Notes. AMIA Symp Proc. San Francisco, CA. 2015: 1252–1259. PMID: 26958265
- Mowery DL, Bryan C, Conway M. Toward Developing an Annotation Scheme for Depressive Disorder Symptoms: A Preliminary Study using Twitter Data. Proceeding of Computational Linguistics and Clinical Psychology – From Linguistic Signal to Clinical Reality. 2015. Denver, CO
- Velupillai S, Mowery DL, Abdelrahman S, Christensen L, Chapman WW. BluLab: Temporal Information Extraction for the 2015 Clinical TempEval Challenge. 9th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations. 2015. Denver, CO
- Mowery DL, Velupillai S, South BR, Christensen L, Martinez D, Elhadad N, Pradhan S, Savova G, Chapman WW. Task 2: ShARe/CLEF eHealth Evaluation Lab 2014. CLEF 2014 Working Notes, 1180. pp. 31-42. ISSN 1613-0073. Sheffield, UK. 2014.
- Suominen H, Schreck T, Leroy G, Hochheiser HS, Nualart J, Goeuriot L, Kelly L, Mowery DL, Ferraro G, Keim D, Chapman WW, Hensen P. Task 1 of the CLEF eHealth Evaluation Lab 2014: Visual-Interactive Search and Exploration of eHealth Data. CLEF 2014 Working Notes, 1180. pp. 1-30. ISSN 1613-0073. Sheffield, UK. 2014
- Mowery DL, Ross M, Velupillai S, Wiebe J, Meystre S, Chapman WW. Generating Patient Problem Lists from the ShARe Corpus using SNOMED CT/SNOMED CT CORE Problem List. BioNLP. Baltimore, MD. 2014.
- Mowery DL, Jordan P, Wiebe J, Harkema H, Dowling J, Chapman WW. Semantic Annotation of Clinical Events for Generating a Problem List. AMIA Symp Proc. Washington, DC. 2013. 3rd place AMIA Student Paper Competition Award.
- Mowery DL, South BR, Murtola LM, Salanterä S, Suominen H, Elhadad N, Pradhan S, Savova G, Chapman WW. Task 2: ShARe/CLEF eHealth evaluation lab 2013. CLEF Proc. Valencia, Spain.
- Chapman WW, Hillert D, Velupillai S, Kvist M, Skeppstedt M, Chapman BE, Conway M, Tharp M, Mowery DL, Deleger L. Extending the Negex Lexicon for Multiple Languages. MedInfo. Copenhagen, DK. 2013
- Velupillai S, Skeppstedt M, Kvist M, Mowery DL, Chapman BE, Dalianis H, Chapman WW. Porting A Rule-Based Assertion Classifier for Clinical Text from English To Swedish. 4th International Louhi Workshop on Health Document Text Mining and Information Analysis, Louhi. Sydney, AU. 2013.
- Mowery DL, Velupillai S, Chapman WW. Medical Diagnosis Lost in Translation – Analysis of Uncertainty and Negation Expressions in English and Swedish Clinical Texts. BioNLP. Montreal, CA. 2012. 56–64
- Mowery DL, Harkema H, Dowling JN, Lustgarten JL, Chapman WW. Distinguishing Historical from Current Problems in Clinical Reports-Which Textual Features Help? BioNLP. Boulder, CO. 2009. 10–18.