Xiaosong Wang, MD, PhD
Xu Chi, Maureen A. Sartor, Sanghoon Lee, Meenakshi Anurag, Snehal Patil, Pelle Hall, Matthew Wexler, Xiaosong Wang. Universal concept signature analysis: Genome-wide quantification of anew biological and pathological function of genes and pathways. Briefings in Bioinformatics. 2019 October; 00(00). https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbz093
Cancer Genome Projects have generated a daunting amount of genomic and deep sequencing data for tens of thousands of human tumors. An overarching challenge of this post-genomic era is to identify and recognize the cancer drivers and targets from these daunting amount of big genomic data, especially those that can be therapeutically targeted to improve the clinical outcome. The mission of Dr. Wang’s lab is to apply a multiple disciplinary approach inclusive of integrative bioinformatics, cancer genetics, molecular cancer biology, and translational studies to identify driving genetic aberrations and appropriate cancer targets on the basis of deep sequencing and genomic profiling datasets. His dry lab researches focus on developing innovative and integrative computational technologies and tools to discover causal genetic alternations, viable therapeutic targets, and predictive biomarkers in cancer, as well as understanding the tumorigenic process at systematic level. His wet lab researches focus on experimentally characterizing individual genetic aberrations in breast cancer such as recurrent gene fusions, genomic amplifications, and epimutations, as well as qualifying viable cancer targets and predictive biomarkers for the development of precision therapeutics. For more information, please visit: http://www.cagenome.org/lab.
- Yu L, Liang Y, Cao X, Wang X, Gao H, Lin SY, Schiff R, Wang XS#, Li K#. Identification of MYST3 as a novel epigenetic activator of ERα frequently amplified in breast cancer. Oncogene 2016 In press.
- Kim JA, Tan Y, Wang X, Cao X, Veeraraghavan J, Liang Y, Edwards DP, Huang S, Pan X, Li K, Schiff R. and Wang XS#. Comprehensive functional analysis of the tousled-like kinase 2 frequently amplified in aggressive luminal breast cancers. Nature Communications. 2016 7:12991.
- Kim JA, Anurag M, Veeraraghavan J, Schiff R, Li K, Wang XS#. Amplification of TLK2 Induces Genomic Instability via Impairing the G2/M Checkpoint. Mol Cancer Res. 2016 14:920-927.
- Veeraraghavan J, Ma J, Hu Y, Wang XS#. Recurrent and pathological gene fusions in breast cancer: current advances in genomic discovery and clinical implications. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Jul;158(2):219-32.
- Veeraraghavan J, Tan Y, Cao XX, Kim JA, Wang X, Chamness GC, Maiti SN, Cooper LJN, Edwards DP, Contreras A, Hilsenbeck SG, Chang EC, Schiff R, Wang XS#. Recurrent ESR1-CCDC170 rearrangements in an aggressive subset of estrogen-receptor positive breast cancers. Nature Communications. 2014 5:4577. PubMed PMID: 25099679.
- Fan Y*, Ge N*, Wang XS*, Sun W*, Mao R, Bu W, Creighton CJ, Zheng P, Vasudevan S, An L, Yang J, Zhao YJ, Zhang H, Li XN, Rao PH, Leung E, Lu YJ, Gray JW, Schiff R, Hilsenbeck SG, Osborne CK, Yang J, Zhang H. Amplification and overexpression of MAP3K3 gene in human breast cancer promotes formation and survival of breast cancer cells. The Journal of Pathology. 2014 232:75-86. PubMed PMID: 24122835.
- Xu QW, Zhao W, Wang Y, Sartor MA, Han DM, Deng JX, Ponnala R, Yang JY, Zhang QY, Liao GQ, Qu YM, Li L, Liu FF, Zhao HM, Yin YH, Chen WF, Zhang Y#, Wang XS#. An integrated genome-wide approach to discover tumor specific antigens as potential immunological and clinical targets in cancer. Cancer Research. 2012 72:6351-61. PubMed PMID: 23135912.
- Wang XS*, Shankar S*, Dhanasekaran SM*, Ateeq B, Prensner JR, Yocum AK, Pflueger D, Jing X, Fries DF, Han B, Li Yong, Cao Q, Cao X, Maher CA, Kumar SC, Demichelis F, Tewari AK, Kuefer R, Omenn GS, Palanisamy S, Rubin MA, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM. Characterization of KRAS Rearrangements in Metastatic Prostate Cancer. Cancer Discovery. 2011 1:35-43. PubMed PMID: 22140652.
- Lai YQ, Ye JX, Chen J, Zhang LB, Wasi LJ, He ZS, Zhou LQ, Li H, Yan QX, Gui YT, Cai ZM, Wang XS#, Guan ZC#. UPK3A：A Promising Novel Urinary Marker for the Detection of Bladder Cancer. Urology. 2010 76:514. PubMed PMID: 20346489.
- Wang XS, Prensner JR, Chen G, Cao Q, Han B, Dhanasekaran SM, Ponnala R, Cao X, Varambally S, Thomas DG, Giordano TJ, Beer DG, Palanisamy N, Sartor MA, Omenn GS, Chinnaiyan AM. An integrative approach to reveal driver gene fusions from paired-end sequencing data in cancer. Nature Biotechnology. 2009 27:1005-1011. PubMed PMID: 19881495.
- Varambally S, Cao Q, Mani RS, Shankar S, Wang XS, Ateeq B, Laxman B, Cao X, Jing X, Ramnarayanan K, Brenner JC, Yu J, Kim JH, Han B, Tan P, Kumar-Sinha C, Lonigro RJ, Palanisamy N, Maher CA, Chinnaiyan AM. Genomic loss of microRNA-101 leads to overexpression of histone methyltransferase EZH2 in cancer. Science. 2008 5908:1695-9.
- Wang XS*, Zhang Z*, Wang HC, Cai JL, Xu QW, Li MQ, Chen YC, Qian XP, Lu TJ, Yu LZ, Zhang Y, Xin DQ, Na YQ, Chen WF. Rapid identification of UCA1 as a very sensitive and specific unique marker for human bladder carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research. 2006 12:4851-8.
- Wang XS*, Zhao H*, Xu Q, Jin W, Liu C, Zhang H, Huang Z, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Xin DQ, Simpson AJ, Old LJ, Na YQ, Zhao Y, Chen W. HPtaa database-potential target genes for clinical diagnosis and immunotherapy of human carcinoma. Nucleic Acids Research. 2006 34:D607-12.